Unicorn Horn and wings

Well we are nearly there guys... this is the last part ...so post links to me if you want to show off your Unicorn!
Here's a pink one in the processes of being created... it's gonna look fantastic :o)) visit Sharon to see how she's going!

Lets get going... I'm going to start with the wings ... so here's a pic of what you'll need... please note I am using cernit but that's not a requirement ...you any polymer they will all turn out the same :o))


 next I've rolled out about half of the pkt of clay ... probably about 1-2mm thick..then I've cut 2 pieces of wire and folded them in half and twisted it folded side till it's about an inch long... then I cut the wire to the length I wanted by holding up to the side of my wee horse..
here's a pic of one piece of wire cut on top of the white rolled out clay...


once you've cut both the wing wire to match lay them on the clay making sure the twisted end is hanging over the edge of the clay... this this then end we will insert into the horse so needs to be as clay free as you can get it!... trim the clay so it's about 1/2cm away from the outer edge of the wire ... rub a little baby oil or liquid clay over the wire and overlap of clay... then fold that clay edge over the wire and press it down so that it's well attached to the clay... then slice down the middle of the wings .. like below...


Next give the wing some shape by cutting it like this...remember to make sure you have a pair ...we don;t want to have 2 lefts or rights!

Right with your knitting needle begin to press and drag it through the clay from the wire to the cut edge... press harder as you get toward the cut edge so that your tool goes through the clay all the way to the plate...my plate you can see in the picture is a tile I use for making then baking on.


Now after you've done that you should have something that looks a bit like mine here...


 

Once you have both wings done lift them off your surface as gently as you can ...we don;t want to rip them or pull the wire out...once you have lifted bend the wire into the pose you want ...then repeat on the other...they don't have to be exact so don;t try else you'll be at it all day and frankly I really love that mine don't match...makes for a more interesting piece!
Righty then place them on some fiber fill ready to be baked soon as we've done the horn...
For the horn all we do if take a small length of wire and twist it  to the top ...this only needs to be about an inch at the most so don't twist a huge length!... roll out a bit of clay to look a bit like a carrot then insert the wire into the carrot... now to finish it off I rolled out a very skinny piece of clay then wrapped it around sort of like a spiral ...



Next pop everything in the oven and bake as the direction tell you on the packet...
Okay when cooked and cooled it's time to decorate as you'd like... for me I brushed some glue over just the spirals of the horn and sprinkled with glitter... then because I'm a bit of a fire bug I lit a candle and just gently burned it just enough to take the brilliant white and cut down on the sparkle of the glitter... now I chose to do this as my wee guy has a lot of gray in him and the white was just too white ...for the wings I just burned them again just gently to take away the "white"!
For attachment use a needle tool or a doll needle and poke it into the place were the wing will be attached... wriggle it around and make sure it's wide enough to insert that wire on the wing... if the wire is too long trim it off so it's shorter but not too short as we want it to be firmly in there... when your happy with that use a drop or 2 of superglue on the end of the wire and also the bit of clay at the top of the wire... re-insert and hold till it's taken... then bend the wire to the angle you like... please don't try and bend the wings themselves else they will break!... repeat for the other wing and also for the horn...when your done you should have something like mine here :o))


 
 
Well we are all done... I hope you enjoyed and will send me some pics :o))

Hugs,
Sharon

3 Comments:

  1. Unknown said...
    M-A-G-N-I-F-I-C-E-N-T! to be honest there aren't any words to describe the beauty of this beast! What a wonderful animal, Sharon...I want one! She is beautiful!!!!! WOW!
    hugz+
    Pam
    Cheryl said...
    I just wanted to say a big thank you for this tutorial. I have several of your patterns but I love this horse. My granddaughter loves unicorns, (hornicorns as she calls them) and I would love to make this for her for Christmas.
    Liza, creator of Little Handfuls Mini Bears said...
    Hey gorgeous lady! Well aren't you clever, you have done so much work on your blog!! It's all very clear and easy to follow, well done! Fab horse, so tempted to felt one! :o) darn christmas, too many projects on the go already! How the heck are ya?? xx

Post a Comment